Sunday, May 20, 2012

Steady Steps

Getting ready to go outside and play with a bubble machine, I ran after the one year old to be sure he was safe, scooped him up and returned to his excited sister.
"Grandma! I already made bubbles!"
"Oh my - where?" I asked.
"In the house." she exclaimed.
"Where in the house?" I nervously asked, as I had left her in a room with carpeting and hardwood floors. The carpet could handle it, but bubbles on hardwood??

She ran to show me, as I set her brother down gently on the carpeting.
It was then that it happened. As I wiped up some of the slippery liquid, I could see, out of the corner of my eye, her bare-footed brother step onto another area of the hardwood floor. With feet sliding under his weight, a surprise look took over his face. Immediately, the second foot found a small pool of the slippery liquid. With both feet moving uncontrolled, he kept his balance. A remarkable feat for someone who just began walking a few months ago.
He allowed me to wipe off his feet and steady his walk, as all three of us chuckled about the slippery floor.

It can happen so quickly. We think we are on solid flooring and - yikes! Our feet slip.

So, how did he keep his balance?
How do we?
I remember the look of surprise on his face, but not a look of fear.
Therein lies the difference.

When your feet slip - be surprised, but don't fear. God is watching and ready to make steady your steps.
And, He is cheering you on when you keep your balance :)

Isaiah 41:13
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you,
Do not fear; I will help you."

Have a blessed day,
Mary

No comments: