Friday, May 15, 2009

Pain - inevitable; Misery - optional

I remember a book called "Stick a Geranium in your Hat and be Happy" which encouraged us to focus on what is good about our lives. It's sub-title was "Pain is inevitable but misery is optional."
And, through God's gift of thankfulness, and Philippians 4:8 "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things," I do believe misery can be optional.

I have learned this past year that it is extremely painful to walk forward in life without someone you love - David's graduation to heaven left a huge hole in my life.
So, I try to focus on whatever is true in a praiseworthy way - Trying to use thankfulness to fill the hole. I'm thanking God that when David's body gave out, He took him to heaven. I'm thanking God that every day of my life I remember many things he taught me. He was a good teacher and once thanked me for having a "teachable spirit". I'm so grateful for a teachable spirit that allowed us to enjoy each other so much.

Today, May 15, 2009, may you enjoy anything excellent or praiseworthy in your life. I know I am :) Love you, Mary

No comments: