Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Being


God has given me time to reflect - I am in a wooded area in Wisconsin, yet it reminds me of The Cenacle in Wheaton.
For years, beginning when I was a very busy single Mom, I took an opportunity to reflect on my life at a retreat - sometimes for an afternoon, sometimes overnight - but I took time to be alone with God and my thoughts on my life. It may have been once every two years, but I remember reflecting on my life at the Cenacle. I remember the first time I attended a Saturday retreat and arrived early in the morning - only to fall asleep for several hours missing the "sessions" for the day. I was told by a friend that I must have needed the sleep that day.
These days, sleep is plentiful. I can go to bed whenever I want to and I have no children waking me up during the night - (I still think of those years as a "tender" season. Yes, I was tired - but I gladly gave up my sleep to nurse my children.)

So, not wanting to relax as I take time to reflect today, I look at God's glory in the trees and woods and strain to "hear" the quiet - there it is - swaying gently in the soft breeze. Peaceful, quiet and calming.
Now, my thoughts can quickly go to the pain in the news - the pain so many on earth are experiencing - so I gather my thoughts - give them to God with a prayer for His Mercy - and then trust Him to care for His beloved children wherever they are - and go back to just "being".

Before 1953, I was not created - and though I do not understand it, I was brought into this world through God's choice of parents, His choice of city and country, His choice of size of family, His choice of physical attributes, etc. - I was created to bring Him glory in a given set of circumstances. Thank You, Lord. Thank You for creating me - thank You for giving me life - and thank You for every day of my life - every breath I take - because I was created by You for Your purposes.

Forgive me, Lord, for those thoughts that may have been ungrateful - or even rebellious - toward Your choices for me on earth. May I come to know You more and more each day - teach others with my words and actions how much You love all of us - and grow more thankful each day - for every breath You so generously allow me to take.

For Jesus' Glory,
Mary

No comments: