Monday, August 4, 2014

Fair or Servant


I spent a lot of time in my life trying to help others learn to be fair - to share - to be kind - because I thought I was teaching them to be like Jesus.
But, was I? Jesus was the ultimate servant.
Did I spend time teaching them to serve? To think of others' needs before their needs?
And, do I think of others' needs before thinking of mine?

As a server at the Olive Garden years ago, I remember the humility involved in serving at a restaurant, it is extremely humbling. But, how about serving in every day life? And, how do we teach it?

Waiting for others to go ahead of us in traffic - or in a line at a store - or opening a door for someone into a restaurant that has a list waiting to be seated? Can we allow others to be served before us - allowing them to have the last (of anything) and not getting emotional that there is none for us?

Losing sleep - when children are first born - is normal and I gladly serve newborns. But, as children grow, did I "try to make life fair" thus teaching them it is all about their satisfaction?
I remember focusing on being fair - like cutting a pizza in equal slices - so each of my children had the exact amount.
I think "being fair" is an important lesson, but could I have taught them a more important lesson - to "serve" - to let others have more pizza then they had at a meal?

If we teach children, and ourselves, how to serve - to let others have something instead of us having it, will we be learning, as the Bible calls it, to "Die to self"? Because if so, then we will win!

Christ promises - the least shall be the greatest - and it seems confusing - but I think that when we serve - He makes us great.

God bless you today!



No comments: