Saturday, August 2, 2014

Familiar Face

Her face was familiar. I did not think we had met before, but I remembered seeing her face. We were both in a line - well, there were two clerks waiting on people and we each chose a line - but neither of us knew if there was one line or two - so we kind of stood next to each other - forming a horizontal line - waiting for someone in the hotel to wait on us.

As the man approached her, I wondered if she knew him. Surely she did not. The conversation was pleasant - she was very kind - and he seemed to discuss something she understood. Her feet moved slightly - I noticed she had chosen cute shoes - too high for me to wear - but they worked for her. The conversation ended, he left but our line had not moved - and our eyes met - we began talking about why we were in line - keys that don't work, checking out, all pleasant.

Then, another woman approached her - thanking her for her words. She graciously accepted the thanks.
So, my curiosity peaked, I asked her - "Did you speak in this hotel?"
"Yes - just this morning - at a NAMI Conference."
"I am sorry - NAMI?" I asked.
"National Association for the Mentally Ill", she answered.
"I have had experience with mental illness in my family."
"I think most people have," I answered with a smile.
"That is what I was speaking about!" she exclaimed.
We smiled.

National Association for the Mentally Ill - I may need to look into that.
We chatted a few minutes longer and, finally, one line moved. I motioned for her to go first - she was there before I approached the area - and she graciously accepted.
Finally, the other line moved - I was taken care of and - just before leaving, I caught her attention, waved and smiled. She smiled and waved back and it felt good to say a prayer for her and her family.

The Lord knows that, in His sovereign plan, I have had some experience with mental illness - so I understand a little - and am curious about this organization.

And, still curious about her face - I looked up the conference in the hotel and the speaker that morning. Yes - I had seen her before - she has a famous name - but her face is unforgettable. Mariel Hemingway.
God bless her and her family and those involved in NAMI.
For Jesus' Glory, Mary

No comments: