Saturday, June 28, 2014

Gratitude vs. submission


It was a fun Sunday - perfect weather for playing in the sun - and my husband wanted help with fixing something. I patiently gave him 5 minutes - then another 5 - maybe even 10 - before I said "This does not feel good." "Why?" he asked. "Because it is Sunday and we have an opportunity to spend time with others - usually it is just us two and we can fix things all day long then." "Okay, thank you" he said, graciously accepting my defiance. I walked away - his project unfinished - and ready to jump in the water with visiting family - excited to spend a fun summer day. But, my spirit was not happy. I knew inside I was wrong, even though it felt good. He graciously changed into swim trunks and joined us.

I never said thank you. I never said it was all because of his kindness that I was near water - able to have family playing in the sun with us - I never focused on the fact that without fixing the things that were important to him, this day would not be possible. I had rebelled.

Asking forgiveness is pretty easy - and holy people easily give it - but learning not to do it again is the struggle. We can be so "right" in our thoughts - so sure we know what is best for us - so sure others are asking us something that is not appropriate or "right" at the time. God - forgive us.

"My thoughts are not your thoughts", says The Lord.

I want to teach my children and grandchildren how to be respectful to authority - not to rebel - but I have to learn it first. And, after this lesson, I do believe the secret is to always be thankful - thankful thoughts must be God's thoughts.

Have a thankful day!

No comments: