Friday, June 13, 2014

Tender Hearts

David used to say - our strengths are our weaknesses.
We all have wonderful hearts - through God's grace - and, if possible, are tender toward others.
Sometimes we need to say no - and it is difficult to do - but please be wise at heart.

She stood outside her car, and as I approached Old Navy in the late afternoon, she wandered over to me with sad eyes.
"Please - I need help. I am trying to get to the hospital to visit my Mom and am out of gas.
Please - can you give me gas money?"
"Wait here", I suggested. I will be quick in here and when I come out, I will follow you to the gas station and give them $5 to put gas in your car."
"Okay" she said - but I knew it was not the reply she wanted.
When I came out of Old Navy, her and her car were gone.

Walking into Bed Bath & Beyond one evening, a young girl - maybe 18 - approached me panicky.
"I just need three dollars - PLEASE??" she sadly asked.
"Let me get you some help", I suggested. "I will get the police to help you."
"No, that is not necessary", she quickly suggested.
"Just hold my driver's license for 24 hours - meet me here tomorrow and I will give you the three dollars back and you can give me my license back."
She tried to shove the license into my hands. I had no plans to return to this area tomorrow.
"No, that will not work for me," I replied. "Again, I will call the police - they can help you."
As I started to reach for my phone, she ran away.

Limping toward our car in a Portillo's parking lot, her white shirt was easy to see and she began to wave us down.
"Is she waving at us?" Marty asked. "I think so", I replied.
He rolled down his window.
"Please help me. My friends are at Dunkin' Donuts and we are on our way to serve on a church committee - I just need help to get to Dunkin Donuts - please?"
"I will call the police - they will help you," I quickly responded.
"No! The police won't help."
"Yes, they will," I answered - "That is their job."
She swore some expletives and walked away - the limp was gone.

If a stranger approaches you anywhere - whatever their story - call the police to help them. Pray for them - but please don't encourage people to prey on other strangers for handouts. And, if they will wait for the police and it is legitimate - then ask the police what you can do for them. :)

Blessings,
Mary






No comments: