Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Third Person

Her words in my ear when I hugged her at the wake played over and over in my head. "Pray for me" she pleaded. Of course I would pray for her - but her plea seemed different - grasping for air. So, the next day, I began moving around to groups of her friends at the funeral for her only son - "Let's get together and pray for Sue", I gently prodded. "I will be there" came many replies - "At my home" added Ev. So, we picked an evening within a couple of days of the funeral.

Then, I invited her by e-mail - whether or not she would be there, we would gather to pray for her.

We all quietly walked into Ev's home that evening - wandered in, sort of sheepishly. Not knowing each other as prayer partners - knowing each other as women who liked to golf. And, here we were - drawn together to pray for a fellow golfer in her valley - and not knowing how to start - or who wanted to put into words this difficult meeting.

I began with a short introduction as to why we were there - and then Sue arrived. She sat in the middle - we surrounded her - some close and some not quite sure how close to be - and we bowed our heads. We invited the Holy Spirit to join us in that circle of love - and we spoke gentle words of love, sadness and asked for comfort for our friend - oh - The Lord alone knows what was said - but after several minutes it happened. She was given a presence - she interrupted whoever was talking - "It is gone", she exclaimed - "I feel the deep sadness has left - I feel so much better - thank you!" She had come face to face with the Holy Spirit and somehow, through His amazing grace - He had brought her the comfort the Bible speaks of.
Her face began to shine - sadness, yes - but hope and comfort exuded from her.

And, tonight, months later, I saw her again - and the shine was still there.
We hugged.
"It was my first experience with The Holy Spirit" she joyfully shared. "I knew the Father and Jesus, but never knew the Holy Spirit personally before that night of prayer. Now I understand the Trinity. I will always remember our prayer night."

I will never forget it - Our God, Our Comforter.
Face to Face with Our Living God - Father, Son and/or Holy Spirit - let's all shine!

No comments: