Sunday, December 4, 2011

My Defender

Have you ever had someone defend you? Does it get any better than having something going on and a person steps in and defends your position or your character?
The feeling of being understood and defended is one of the best. It does not battle with feelings of pride for it is a feeling dependent on another - not yourself.
To be understood, accepted completely and loved in a way that you feel secure is a great gift I have experienced.
God has blessed me with many friends and these relationships are priceless. A few of them would defend me and I pray I would defend them.
For today, I am remembering the first time my car broke down after I met David. I called him and he and Ken were at the side of my car in a flash. I remember, after being a single Mom for the previous 7 years, liking the feeling of someone caring enough to drop whatever they were doing when I was in trouble and arriving in minutes. It was new for me to have someone so caring to "come to my aid".
And, I think the best part of it was that there was no condemnation. I had often been condemned when I was in tough situations with things going wrong.
So, this different feeling - of being taken care of without condemnation - was brought into my life and I devoured it. I welcomed it like my dry tongue would welcome water in a desert.
And, I felt defended and taken care of - all in a single act of friendship. Through the grace of God, an uncountable number of events have taken place since that day, all allowing me the same feeling - defended and taken care of without condemnation.

God offers us that - and I receive it. I love when He defends us, takes care of us and, Romans 8:1 "Therefore, there is now, no condemnation, for those who are in Christ Jesus." I receive Christ's gift of no condemnation.
I got used to David being my special human example of God's defense at my side every minute. I accept God's Word will continue to give me the defense and love I long for.
Fill any empty places in us, Lord.
For Jesus' Glory.

No comments: