Thursday, December 13, 2012

Applebee's

Applebee's was the most convenient restaurant near our new home in North Port, Florida. We would put in a full day of working on the home (or working on the golf course) and sit down for a pretty healthy meal.

And, for emotional reasons, I chose not to go near an Applebee's since May of 2008 - until tonight. I purposefully drove there to have dinner by myself and remember.
I spoke a few words to the seat across from me - there was no reply - but I smiled, because I knew him so well, I knew what his reply would be. I could hear him describe to the server his favorite way to have his steak cooked - "medium plus". Medium plus never disappointed him. I could picture him motioning with his hands when asking for blue cheese to be sprinkled on top of his salad. He was a great communicator.

It was not a great meal tonight - okay enough, but not great.
But, it was sensational in another way. I feel like I accomplished - or overcame - all my battles in letting go. I believe the meal represented me facing my memories - facing reality and stopping running.
So, I exited the restaurant smiling broadly - simply grateful for memories.

As I drove out of the parking lot, I received a wonderful text with a video of my granddaughter, Madison, reciting Scripture - and I then attended another grandchild - Trace's - class performance that included Scripture from his mouth and - as if that were not enough - as the day closed in, a third grandchild, Macy, read her devotional page for today's date to me!
WOW!

I do not know a sweeter sound than hearing the voices of grandchildren reciting Scripture - God's Word. I am sure David would agree.

Thank you, Lord. I celebrate stopping running and I celebrate God's gift of future generations enjoying His Truth.

May you sleep well tonight - and enjoy Our Lord's Word.

No comments: