Thursday, March 12, 2009

Really - and Anniversaries

Really? Was I carrying unnecessary guilt? After a difficult weekend with a lot of grieving tears two weeks ago, I decided to seek answers from a professional. I asked the receptionist for an appointment with a counselor that had a degree in divinity - I wanted answers from someone who knew the Bible well.
After telling her some of David and my story, and how God met us at every turn during the five weeks we handled his diagnosis, she simply asked me why I was taking a gift and picking it apart - she said that I was implying that God's grace was not sufficient enough to get me and David through that difficult season. I had been feeling guilty about some things I may not have done or said "right". Unnecessary guilt. God's grace is sufficient and it allowed me to minister to my wonderful husband wonderfully - not because I am wonderful, but because God's grace is!
I walked out of her office free - free from guilt. I am now able to enjoy the memory of a difficult season because God is good and was providing everything David and I needed each day.
March 28th begins the 1st anniversary of those five weeks. We first heard David had cancer on Friday, March 28th and he went home to heaven on Friday, May 2nd.
Anniversaries are interesting. We can choose to remember the gift of those days and celebrate God's love or we can be reminded of the anniversary with painful memories. I'm choosing to remember the gift - choosing to thank God for the gift of His presence during a difficult season - thanking Him for His faithfulness and amazing grace that drew David and I closer to Him as He walked David to heaven.
I pray your anniversaries are gifts!
Love you, Mary

1 comment:

Michelle said...

you are free...free indeed