Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bunnies with Glasses?

We were having a sleepover when Macy mentioned her eye had an itch. Could it be the sand from the park or did the wind dry it out? Sometimes we don't get to know how something happened, we just need to deal with it. We lay there - with eye pads on our eyes - eye pads I had purchased at a salon a long time ago (do they have an expiration date?) and the woman at the salon had promised they would refresh my eyes and I would no longer have dark circles. Really?
I tried several attempts to keep them on - tried and tried to see a difference in my eyes, but the dark circles still appeared the next morning. They were nice eye pads, though, and my eyes liked the refreshing feeling even with dark circles remaining.
So, as I reached for them to refresh Macy's eyes from an itch, I read the ingredients - tea leaves. Hmmmm. My mom used to use wet tea bags whenever we had any kind of eye problem.
So, in our pajamas, her brother already asleep, Macy and I turned off the lights and put eye pads on both of our eyes and lay there - waiting. Within a few minutes, she asked all kinds of questions about these pads that I didn't have answers for - and then, that old joke from my childhood popped up.
"Macy, do you know why we know carrots are good for our eyes?" I asked.
"No, why, Grandma?" she asked.
"Because bunnies eat carrots and you never see a bunny with glasses." I quipped.
She giggled, and then we giggled together, for a couple of minutes - a wonderful couple of minutes before bedtime.
It's an old joke, just like tea bags on our eyes is an old remedy, but sometimes the old ones still work.
Here's to your next giggle - or if your eye itches - here's to your next tea bag :)

No comments: