Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chopped Liver

She watched, rather irritated, as one person after another walked in front of her and onto the plane. She kept watching, not moving a muscle. I ventured over to her, sensing she wasn't enjoying this boarding procedure.
She looked at another couple push right passed her as I approached. I guessed her to be around 75 years old and traveling alone.
"What am I, chopped liver?" she asked me.
"Well, what does your boarding pass say?" I replied.
"What do you mean?" she quipped.
I showed her the number on the right side of her boarding pass.
"This airline "groups" people to board. They have only called groups 1 and 2 and you are in group 4." I gently informed her.
"Oh", she said rather embarrassed. Her frail body calming down.
I waited until group 4 boarded and smiled as I saw her board. She smiled back.
Chopped liver. Isn't it easy to feel like the world is passing us by? Isn't it easy to think no one notices us and we don't matter?
Take the time to notice someone. Whether a smile or a nod - just recognition that they exist and are in your vision is enough sometimes.
Enough to take away a feeling of being chopped liver.
We all matter to Our Loving God - let's matter to each other.

No comments: