Monday, July 25, 2011

Gifts

He said that when he was a teenager, he remembers being in awe of the discovery and development of dental implants. I thought "if I even heard of a new discovery about anything dental, I would try not to give it any thought". In fact, I try not to allow any of my brain space to be taken up by anything relating to dentistry.
That may make the difference in our gifts.
He is one of the best dentists I have ever had work done by - and that is saying a lot because I have had a lot of dental work over the years. To think that it interested him, as a teenager, was a precursor, from God, I think, that his gifts are in dentistry.
So, where are my gifts?
I remember the first time I took a psychology course. I thought that teacher in high school was brilliant! Just brilliant. I wanted to understand all he knew.
So, I spend time trying to figure out the mind - how and why people do what they do. That is fun for me. Then, there is math. When Mr. Widicus, in sophomore year of high school taught Algebra, my finest hour was finding a solution different than the textbook. I loved putting it on the board and having him say "that will work", even though it was different than his answer. Gifts are fun.
I am grateful when I find someone gifted in something that blesses me. Like dentistry. After sitting in the chair for an hour today, I am exhausted. It is tiring for me to have someone hanging over my mouth, explaining everything, yet needing access to my open mouth with drills, water and, the Lord only knows what else, while I try to breath and pretend I am comfortable. And, to cap it off, on the way out, I had to make another appointment for two weeks away. Just think - in just two more weeks, I get to sit longer than an hour in the chair!
As I thank God for our gifts, I thank Him for yours and mine - all different, yet complimenting, and even necessary, for our work on earth.
May you enjoy your gifts and bless others through them today. :)

No comments: