Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Warning Lights Part II

Walking up to the door of Tuffy, I prayed for the right words. I had already decided that I did not want the tip back, but did want an apology.
I asked for the mechanic that worked on my car and the manager asked me "Did the warning light go off?"
"I just want to speak to him in private, please." I said - not wanting to get anyone in trouble with their manager.
The manager stood alongside me as the mechanic approached.
"Can I talk to you about my warning light?" I asked.
"Did it go off?" asked the manager.
"Yes, it did," I said as some emotions started to form. I liked these guys - have done business with them for years. "It went off when I lowered the spare and filled it up to 32 - it was at 24."
The mechanic was the first to reply with "It was at 32 when I measured it."
"Well, pebbles and dirt fell when I lowered it - so it was not moved yesterday." I answered.

"We do not have to lower the spare to fill it. We have an air tool that can fill it in its position - here, let me show you."
He walked me over to his tool box - around two other mechanics already busy at work.
He took the tool over to a car over our heads and showed me the reading.
"This is how we can do it underneath - never lowering the car. And, I filled and measured yours yesterday."
"Either your spare has a leak or my tool is broken and not measuring correctly."
He took the tool over the the car above us again and the reading was different the second time.
"If the light does not go on again this week, you do not have a leak - and I need to replace this tool." said the mechanic.

The manager apologized for my trouble - the mechanic apologized, too - and I realized they had not lied.
But, I did not have all the facts - and it seemed to be the only conclusion.

I wonder how many times in life I have jumped to conclusions without all the facts.

On my way in there today, I thought it would be easier to just not go there anymore - but I wanted to confront them because I would want to be confronted - even if it was a lie - I could have forgiven them - and we could have had good business between us again.

"I am a Christian and working on not lying myself," I said. "But, have been known to do it at times. I am grateful you did not lie to me about my car."

They smiled.

It is going to be a good day.





No comments: