Monday, October 14, 2013

Warning Lights

It starts every fall - for some reason. One or more tires lose pressure and the warning light goes on in my Toyota.
One season, all four tires checked out okay and I was informed that even the spare tire can lose air pressure. So, this year, when the light went on, I checked all four tires and they were okay. But decided to get help checking the spare when I next visited my mechanics - it did not look possible to gain access to the valve easily.
So, today, since it was time for new tires, I asked my friends at my favorite Tuffy - the only men who have worked on this vehicle since I purchased it over four years ago - to fill up the spare tire with air when they replace the other four tires. The visit took over three hours - I was promised it in 1 1/2 hours, but I understand busy and tried to be patient.

Now, I am always interested in tipping for good service. So, I tipped the man who worked on my car and as I drove off, I noticed the warning light was still lit. Doing a u-turn, I returned and as he approached my car, I asked him if he had accomplished filling the spare tire with air. "Yes - all your tires are the right pressure", he assured me.
"Well, the warning light is still on." I answered.
Then he said, "You may need to go to Toyota to ask about something in your electronic system - OH! - Wait - this happens to my father's car sometimes. It takes time to reset itself. Could take a week or two."
"Are you sure the new tires have all been checked?" I asked.
"Yes", he assured me - "pressure is good on all of your tires."
So, I drove off - and looked at that little light again every time I turned on the car - hoping it would reset itself soon.

Then, the thought occurred to me - they were really busy today. Could he have lied to me and not had the time to work on the spare?
Not a nice thought, I agree. But, my car has had very good warning lights in the past.

So, before going to bed tonight, I read the instruction booklet and lowered the spare tire so I could reach the valve to measure the pressure. I learned it was not that difficult to gain access to the valve. And, I took a reading looking for a 31 - but found a disappointing 24 - low enough to set off the warning light.

I have been lied to - and I will return to Tuffy tomorrow - after filling the spare with air - to ask for my tip back.

Blessings on your warning lights :)



No comments: