Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Walking Stick

After watching a movie called The Way, I thought of walking sticks. So, beginning a walk today, I searched for something to use - could I take the shovel off of the end of it's stick and use that? No - screwed on tight. (Thank goodness for when I shovel!)
Looking further, I saw an old, wooden head golf club. It was the last one I had from Adolph. Adolph was my third Dad - Mom's third husband. I only knew him to be sweet and gentle - a really gentle man.
He loved sports, and even though he was almost 80 when we began spending time on a golf course together, we would play 9 holes slowly and enjoy it. I can still hear him on the tee box saying "See all that beautiful green, Mary?" "Yes", I would reply. "And, I can't hit any of it!" he would playfully joke.
The golf club, now my walking stick, reminded me of the round when we were standing with the entire fairway between us on the first hole. My drive had gone right and his had gone left. He stood over his and swung hard. With his hand over his eyes, he struggled to find the flight of his ball in the air. Searching, searching. I waited. He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. I pointed downward. Unfortunately, that swing had never made contact. The ball was laying exactly where it had been. He looked down, shrugged his shoulders, swung again and laughed.
So, as I took his golf club for a walk today (it made a pretty good walking stick), I was reminded of a gentle man and a great sport.
Adolph may be celebrating an amazing round of golf in heaven right now. I like to think he is - and maybe David is helping him search for his ball :)
God bless any round you get to play - and who you get to play it with.
For Jesus' Glory.

No comments: